A great dinnerware set is a necessity in every home. Whether you are a newly married couple who just moved into your new home, or someone who recently decided to live independently, you need to get yourself a lovely and well-made dinnerware set.
Aside from great cooking, nice dinnerware also helps make your dining experience better. Even though it is only psychological, the food seems to taste more delectable and looks more appealing. Your dinnerware set can also leave an impression when you are entertaining guests for lunch or dinner.
You can buy individual pieces, but buying in sets has more advantage. While it may cost a little bit more, a dinnerware set ensures that you will have everything that you need.
Table of Contents
- What is Break Resistant Dinnerware?
- What to Look for When Buying Break-Resistant Dinnerware Sets
- Other Factors to Consider When Buying Dinnerware
- 1. Luminarc Unbreakable Tempered Glass 19-pcs Dinnerware Set
- 2. Gibson Studio 12-Pc Mauna Melamine Dinnerware Set
- 3. 12-Pc Rustic Melamine Dinnerware Set
- 4. Corelle Livingware 32-Pc Dinnerware Set
- 5. Galleyware Blue 12-Pc Melamine Non-Skid Dinnerware Set
- 6. Studio California 12-Pc Flora Heavy Weight Melamine Dinnerware Set
- 7. Corelle Livingware 18-pc Dinnerware Service for 4
- 8. Corelle Livingware 18-Pc Glass Dinnerware Set
- 9. Luminarc ‘Maritsa Orange’ Unbreakable Tempered Glass 19-pcs Dinnerware Set
- 10. Sango Concepts 16-Pc Dinnerware Set
What is Break Resistant Dinnerware?
Break-resistant dinnerware consists of plates, bowls, and cups that are more durable than the traditional porcelain pieces. They are usually less expensive as well, so you do not have to cringe every time you or a guest accidentally drops one.
Break-resistant dinnerware usually:
- Doesn’t stain, chip, or get scratched from use
- Doesn’t break when dropped
- Can be used in the microwave
- Can be cleaned in the dishwasher
What to Look for When Buying Break-Resistant Dinnerware Sets
When shopping for dinnerware sets, there are several factors that you need to consider:
Most break-resistant dinnerware is made of melamine. Melamine is a hard and durable plastic resin that is shatterproof (but not unbreakable). It is an organic industrial compound created by combining melamine resin with strengthening materials. Because of that, it can stand up to the rigors and stresses of everyday handling. Melamine dinnerware is also generally lighter so you will not have any difficulty setting the table and clearing the dishes.
Melamine is extremely difficult to break and will not shatter even when dropped, but that does not mean that it is unbreakable. It is also relatively resistant to scratch marks, but the edges might chip. However, dinnerware made from melamine is not microwave oven safe.
Another material that you might want to consider is tempered glass. It is also chip and scratch resistant and can be used in the microwave. However, drop it or knock against a hard surface and it will definitely break.
For your reference, other materials that dinnerware is usually made from is earthenware, stoneware, ironstone, glass, porcelain, and bone china.
- Earthenware is made from unrefined clay and fired at low temperatures. They are porous and often glazed. They may look heavy but they are fragile.
- Stoneware is also made from unrefined clay, but fired at higher temperatures. They are nonporous, hard, and heavy.
- Ironstone is a version of stoneware that is more durable. It has a porcelain-like appearance, but has a more casual look.
- Porcelain is also a type of stoneware fired at the highest temperatures. It is non-porous and has a glass-like appearance. It is also durable and often used in a formal setting.
- Bone china is a type of porcelain which is made with bone ash. It is translucent and milky white and is also often used in a formal setting.
Being heavy does not necessarily equate to being more durable and high quality. Sometimes, heavier plates have been proven to be more likely to break when dropped. You need to choose a weight that you will be comfortable carrying so that it will not be a burden for you when you entertain guests and clear the table.
When we say break-resistant, it does not mean that the plates and bowls will never break at all. It is still breakable, and so over time, it is likely that a few pieces will break. So, it is a good idea to consider buying extra pieces when you buy a dinnerware set, especially when you love a certain pattern. If you don’t, you may have to settle for other designs because the same design might not be available later on.
Other Factors to Consider When Buying Dinnerware
- Budget is another important consideration because you would not want to buy dinnerware that is not within your means. You should know exactly how much you are willing to spend and then work within that amount. Just remember that high-quality dinnerware usually costs more, but it is a great and lasting investment.
- You should also determine the level of formality that you want your dinnerware to have. Some people buy two sets of dinnerware, with one for casual and everyday use and the other one for a more formal setup. As mentioned earlier, you might want to consider porcelain and bone china for formal settings.
- Shape, color, and pattern are considerations based on your personal preference. Do not be limited to just simple and plain-looking white dinnerware sets if you have other options that suit your style more. For instance, if you are aiming for a more contemporary look, you can go for unconventional plate shapes such as square. Make sure that your dinnerware is coordinated with the rest of your dining area and table setting.
At the end of the day, your personal taste and the overall theme of your home, particularly your dining room, should have an effect on what type of dinnerware you should go for. Whatever style you want, just make sure that you choose a well-made and break-resistant dinnerware set that can last for many years. Invest in something that will not go beyond your budget but at the same time, will not compromise the quality and excellence.
Here are our top ten favorite break-resistant dinnerware sets:
1. Luminarc Unbreakable Tempered Glass 19-pcs Dinnerware Set
- The dinnerware set made by the famous French company Luminarc will be a perfect choice to serve for a party or a formal meeting.
- The set contains 6 deep dishes (8 inches each), 6 dinner plates (10 inches), 6 dessert plates (7.5 inches) and a salad bowl (8.3 inches)
- Made of the highest quality tempered glass, these ceramic dishes can withstand up to 275°F. It is also perfectly safe to use them in a microwave or a dishwasher.
- The design of the plates will be a great complement for almost any dining table setting.
- The set is also an amazing gift for a wedding, birthday or housewarming party.
The Luminarc Water Color Collection is modern and vibrant. It certainly stands out. The whole set is dishwasher and microwave safe.
- Made in France and break resistant
- Colors don’t contain any harsh chemicals like lead
- Is made of glass, so does have the ability to break
2. Gibson Studio 12-Pc Mauna Melamine Dinnerware Set
- Voted “Best Dinnerware Sets of 2019” by Forbes
- Festive heavy weight melamine - a high-quality plastic material
- Durable: break resistant, chip resistant and scratch resistant
- Ideal for indoor/outdoor everyday use
- Great around pools and decks as they won’t shatter like glass and ceramic plates
- Service for 4 includes four of each: 11 dinner plates, 9 salad plates, 6 bowls
- Top shelf of dishwasher safe, but hand washing is recommended. Do not microwave
Twelve color choices and a lightweight melamine construction make this 12-piece Gibson Studio set a great choice for break-resistant dinnerware. It comes with service for four, so there are four 11” round dinner plates, four 9” round salad plates, and four 6” round bowls. The melamine is dishwasher safe, resistant to getting chipped, and won’t scratch.
- Lots of colors to match any table décor
- Bowls are nice and deep
- Melamine might be dishwasher safe (top rack only), but washing by hand is recommended
- Not microwave safe
3. 12-Pc Rustic Melamine Dinnerware Set
- Set your table with rustic style. With a distressed, rustic design, this dinnerware set is the ideal match for your farmhouse or cottage decor
- Each plate and bowl is lightweight, shatterproof and scratch-resistant, thanks to durable, melamine plastic construction
- The perfect wedding or housewarming gift
- 12 piece dishware includes: four 23 ounce bowls, four salad 8 inch plates, and four dinner 10 inch plates
- Dishwasher and freezer safe; Not suitable for microwave cooking or heavy use
This melamine dinnerware set comes in multiple colors of burgundy, turquoise, dark ocean blue, and sand, with rustic markings that make it look old and have it fit into a rustic-modern décor look. They look like vintage chipped enamelware. The 12 pieces you get include four 10” round dinner plates, four round 8” salad plates, and four 23-ounce bowls.
- Durable, break resistant, and won’t scratch
- Dishwasher safe (top rack only), though hand washing is recommended to protect the finish
- Not microwave safe
- You don’t get a color choice, since they’re all mixed together, and the colors do come across as looking printed on
4. Corelle Livingware 32-Pc Dinnerware Set
This Corelle set is made of the traditional Corelle material of break- and scratch-resistant Vitrelle glass. It’s lightweight, thin, durable, and also made in the USA. As for the color pattern, it’s a white base with varying shades of blue and turquoise around the rims. The coordinating mugs are a deep navy blue. You get eight 10.25” round dinner plates, eight 6.75” bread and butter plates, eight 18-ounce cereal bowls, and eight 11-ounce mugs.
- Microwave, dishwasher, and oven safe
- Comes with a 3-year warranty
- The mugs are made of stoneware, not the Vitrelle glass
- Not freezer safe
5. Galleyware Blue 12-Pc Melamine Non-Skid Dinnerware Set
A deep, rich navy blue color is classic for this break-resistant dinnerware set. It’s dramatic and will stand out on your table. All pieces are made of melamine, which is BPA free and resistant to scratches as well. With this set, you get four 10” dinner plates, four 16-ounce soup/cereal bowls, and four 12-ounce mugs.
- Dishwasher safe
- Every piece has a non-skid bottom to stay firmly in the cupboard or on the table
- Not for microwave use
6. Studio California 12-Pc Flora Heavy Weight Melamine Dinnerware Set
A colorful floral pattern in shades of red, yellow, turquoise, and periwinkle brightens your table. This set includes four 11.5-inch round solid color dinner plates, four 9” round floral dessert plates, and four 7.5” flower-shaped bowls. They’re made of heavy weight melamine, so they can go in the dishwasher and are break resistant.
- Looks like china, not melamine
- Durable and won’t break like china or porcelain
- The bowls are small
- Melamine cannot go in the microwave
7. Corelle Livingware 18-pc Dinnerware Service for 4
8. Corelle Livingware 18-Pc Glass Dinnerware Set
This winter frost white Corelle dinnerware set is made of Vitrelle glassware. In the 18-piece set, you get service for six: six 10.25” round dinner plates, six 6.75” round bread and butter plates, and six 18-ounce soup/cereal bowls. They are break resistant and durable.
- Dishwasher, microwave, and oven safe up to 350°F
- No mugs included in this set
- The smaller plates are more dessert plates, not luncheon size
9. Luminarc ‘Maritsa Orange’ Unbreakable Tempered Glass 19-pcs Dinnerware Set
The tempered glass of this dinnerware set is durable, long lasting, and nice and thick. These dishes have a colorful floral pattern and an ombre yellow, orange, and purple center. With the 19-piece set, you get six 10” round dinner plates, six 8” round plates, six 7.75” round shallow soup bowls, and one large 10.5” salad bowl.
- Dishwasher and microwave safe
- Resistant to chips and scratches as well as breaking
- The bowls are shallow, not deep
- The design is only on the back of the pieces, not the front
10. Sango Concepts 16-Pc Dinnerware Set
Two different colors make the Sango 16-piece Dinnerware set unique. They are made of break-resistant stoneware. The outside color is a gradient deep purple and the inside is a light stoneware. This set includes four 12” dinner plates, four 7” salad plates, four 7” soup bowls, and four 9-ounce mugs.
- The stoneware is glazed for durability
- Microwave and dishwasher safe
- Stoneware is not as break resistant as other materials like melamine and Vitrelle glass