Knowing how to bake certainly has a lot of advantages. You can always have freshly baked bread in the morning and make a batch of delicious chocolate chips for snacks. Aside from bread, you can also bake different types of food for meals throughout the day. Baking does not only give you delicious food, but healthy food as well because there is no need to use a lot of oil like when frying.
In order to bake breads and food perfectly, it is necessary for you to have the right equipment. Of course, baking will not be possible without an oven so make sure that you invest in a good one.
You also need to choose the right type of bakeware for your baking needs. Some examples of bakeware that you need to have are cookie trays, different sized pans for cakes and pies, muffin tins, and loaf pans. If you are just starting to bake, it can be challenging to choose which ones to buy because there are a lot of them.
Table of Contents
- 10 Best Bakeware Sets
- Rachael Ray 10-Piece Cucina Nonstick Bakeware Set
- Calphalon Nonstick Bakeware 10-Pc. Bakeware Set
- Anchor Hocking 32-Piece Ovenware Set
- Cake Boss Professional Premium Nonstick Bakeware 6-Piece Set
- CorningWare 20-Piece French Server Set
- Calphalon Signature Nonstick Bakeware Set – 6 Piece
- VonShef Cast Iron Dishes Set of 3
- Perlli 10-Piece Non-Stick Bakeware Set
- Rachael Ray Yum-o! Nonstick Bakeware 5-pc Oven Lovin’ Bakeware Set
- Elite Bakeware 8-pc Ultra Non-Stick Baking Pans Set
Buying Bakeware Sets Instead of Individual Items
When you start baking, you would want to try out different types of baked goods to hone your craft. That is why, it would be best to get bakeware sets so that you will have a variety of tools. There are many sets that you can choose and they come in different prices, features, and benefits.
Buying in sets has more benefits compared to buying individual baking tools. Most of the time, sets are more affordable and more convenient than purchasing individually. You can even find more great deals and discounts when you buy in sets so you can use the money that you save to buy other items that you need.
Typically, a bakeware set comprises of different baking tools such as cookie sheets, bread pans, cake pans, mixing bowls, measuring tools, and more. So, if you are a new baker, it would be more convenient to buy in sets so you can get all kinds of items with just one purchase.
Choosing the Right Kind of Bakeware Material
Another important thing to consider when buying bakeware sets is the type of material that the items are made of. There are different types of materials that are used to design bakewares and most of the time, it is just a matter of the baker’s personal preference.
Aluminum is one of the most common and preferred bakeware material because it allows food to be cooked evenly. Baking in aluminum also resists warping so the food does no end up twisted or out of shape. However, there are also some drawbacks to using aluminum. Since it has a shiny texture, it is not recommended to use it for browning. Also, aluminum should never be used for baking or cooking acidic foods because the combination of the two somehow spoils the taste of the food.
Stainless steel is one of the most economical and lightweight material that is why there are some who prefer bakeware sets made with it. However, stainless steel is a poor conductor of heat. As a result, the heat is unevenly distributed and baked items are not properly cooked.
Tempered glass is a very good conductor of heat so it bakes the food nicely and evenly. It also heats up quickly so you can save fuel and energy and save around 25 degrees. The only drawback is if you do not handle it carefully or expose it to extremely high heat, it can break easily.
This type of bakeware can be made of steel, aluminum, or cast iron but with a non-stick surface or coating. This special coating prevents food and bread from sticking to the surface without the need to put oil or grease. Another benefit of using non-stick is that the coating gives the bakeware a darker look which in turn allows absorption of heat more quickly.
Insulated bakewares are either made of aluminum or steel, with another layer of air in between. This unique construction ensures even cooking and helps in browning. However, they also tend to heat up slower to protect the food from the heat source. Because of that, you will need more time for baking.
This bakeware is made from stone which is fired at extremely high temperatures and is one of the most versatile materials used in baking. It distributes heat evenly and keeps the food warm even long after it is cooked. The only downside is that it takes a little longer to heat it up, compared to other materials.
Silicone is made of flexible materials that is why more bakers prefer using this when baking cakes and different types of bread. Unlike the other materials, silicon does not absorb heat, but it allows heat to transfer evenly to the food. It can be used in the oven or microwave and can withstand temperatures ranging from 400 to 580 Fahrenheit.
10 Best Bakeware Sets
This Rachael Ray bakeware set comes in an attractive latte brown color with silicon cranberry handles. You get 10 pieces: two 10” x 15” cookie sheets, two 9” round cake tins, a 9” square cake tin, a two-piece meat loaf pan, a 9” x 13” rectangular pan with plastic cover, and a 12-cup muffin tin.
- Carbon steel construction with nonstick exterior
- Oven-safe to 450°
- These are not dishwasher safe, so hand washing is recommended
- Don’t use nonstick cooking spray
With this Calphalon Bakeware Set, you get a large cookie sheet, a 12” x 17” baking sheet, two 9” round cake pans, a 9” x 5” x 2.75” loaf pan, a 12-cup muffin pan, a cooling rack, a 9” x 13” shallow brownie pan, a 9” x 13” regular rectangular cake pan, and a lid which could fit either the brownie or rectangular pan. Each piece is dishwasher safe.
- Oven safe up to 500°
- Made of heavy gauge steel core
- Cooking sprays are not recommended to use on the nonstick surface, since it corrodes over time
- There have been reports of warping
This large Anchor Hocking Ovenware Set comes with plenty of baking dishes and utensils. All of the baking dishes are glass. You get a 3-quart oblong glass bake dish with lid, a 2-quart round glass casserole dish with lid, an 8” square glass casserole dish with lid, a 9.5” deep pie plate, a 1.5-quart loaf dish, 6 dessert cups with lids, 6 measuring spoons, and 4 spatulas.
- The glass is dishwasher, microwave, oven, and freezer safe
- It comes with utensils, a recipe book, and a cooking chart
- The matching lids are made of plastic.
- The glassware can’t tolerate very high heat, so it’s best to stick to 425° and lower
With a silver surface and a quilted bottom, this Cake Boss bakeware set is professionally designed by a baker. You get three round cake pans that come in 6”, 8”, and 10” sizes. You also get a 9” x 13” jelly roll pan, a 13” x 15” jelly roll pan, and a 9” x 5” loaf pan. This set is made of durable and folded aluminized steel. Every piece is nonstick as well, so you shouldn’t use metal utensils.
- Oven safe to 450°
- The jelly roll pans can also be used as cookie sheets
- No lids, just pans
- Not dishwasher safe
With this 20-piece CorningWare French Server Set, you get two 7 oz. ramekins with plastic lids, two 24 oz. dishes with plastic lids, 3 oval dishes (15 oz., 16 oz., and 1.5 quart) with plastic lids, a 2.5-quart oval dish with a glass lid, and a 2.5-quart round dish with a glass lid. The classic white design fits in with many different kitchen décor styles.
- Stoneware bases are microwave, oven, refrigerator, freezer, and dishwasher safe
- Stoneware resists chipping and cracking
- Most of the lids (except for two) are plastic
- The plastic lids aren’t microwave safe, just the stoneware bases
The Calphalon Signature bakeware pans have a ceramic nonstick surface, and are both PFOA and PTFE free. You get two 9” round cake pans, a 12” x 17” baking sheet, a 12” x 17” cooling rack, a 12 cup muffin tin, and a muffin tin cover.
- Made of attractive black aluminum
- The cooling rack fits in the baking sheet
- Only one baking sheet comes in the set. You should get at least two, so you have one cookie batch in the oven and another one ready to go
- Even though it says they’re dishwasher safe, hand washing is recommended
Cast iron has excellent heat retention and distribution. In this VonShef set, you get a 5.3 quart casserole/Dutch oven dish, a 1-quart oval gratin dish, and a 9” square griddle pan. These dishes have a porcelain enamel attractive red color with off-white interiors, and they have matching built in sturdy cast iron handles.
- Durable, sturdy, heavy, and well-made to last a long time
- Can be used on any stovetop type
- Not dishwasher safe, so hand wash only
- Misleading instructions say they’re not oven safe. According to the seller, this is a printing error. All 3 dishes are oven safe
This Perlli bakeware set comes with plenty of pieces for all kinds of baking. You get two 9” round cake pans, one 9” square cake pan, one 15” x 10” cookie sheet, one 17” x 11.5” cookie sheet, a 12.75” round pizza pan, a 14.75” x 10.75” roasting pan, one 10” x 5.75” loaf pan, one 15.5” x 13.25” oven crisper pan, and a 12 cup muffin pan.
- Versatile set for a reasonable price.
- Made of black heavy gauge carbon steel.
- Not dishwasher safe. They will rust.
- Some buyers have said they warp.
With this Rachael Ray bakeware set, you get five pieces that are made of durable carbon steel with a nonstick coating. They are gray with orange silicone handles. You get two rectangular cake pans, two 9” round cake pans, and a loaf pan.
- A portion of the proceeds goes to the Rachael Ray nonprofit Yum-o!
- Nonstick, so you don’t need cooking spray.
- Only oven safe until 350°
- Not dishwasher safe and use only nonstick utensils.
This Elite Bakeware set is dishwasher safe, oven safe to 500° Fahrenheit, and comes in a dark gray color with red silicone handles. It comes with a 9” x 13” rectangle cake pan, one 8” square cake pan, one 9.5” x 5” loaf pan, two 8.5” cake pans, one 12-cup muffin tin, and two 10” x 14” cookie sheets.
- Oven safe up to 500°
- Made of heavy duty steel
- No lids included
- Some buyers have reported rust, scratches, and problems with the nonstick coating
Other Factors to Consider When Choosing the Best Bakeware Set
You already know the different types of materials that bakewares are usually made of. You can choose whichever you think will work for you best, but it is always a good idea to consider items with a non-stick coating to avoid breakage when removing cooked food or baked goods.
If money is not a concern for you, then you can buy whatever bakeware you have set your eyes on. However, you can also spend anywhere from $20 to $100 or even less and you can still find a great bakeware set that you can use for a long time.
Of course, if you are spending money, you better spend it on something that would last. Choose an item which can last for many years such as those made of stainless steel. It might also be a good idea to pass on those made of glass as they are prone to breakage.
Make sure that you purchase items which can fit your oven and will not take too much space when you store them in your drawer or on the countertop.
Baking will be more fun and easier when you have the right type of bakeware sets. Choose carefully and invest on high quality materials that you can use to create your masterpieces in the kitchen.