I was straightening up my pans last week, when way in the back I saw my cast iron “egg” pancake pan. I hadn’t made any stuffed buttermilk pancakes in a long time, so Saturday morning I got up early and did just that. I’m so glad I did, I had forgotten how delicious they truly are! The cream cheese filling, the fresh berries, the warm maple syrup………yum!
The cast-iron Aebleskiver pan is designed to make delightful Danish pancakes. They are a type of puffed pancake that takes on a ball form due to the shape of the pan. Adding a generous supply of butter to each cup of the Aebleskiver pan while you are preheating it helps the pancakes brown. The results are puffy, rich little round pancakes, usually about an inch or two in diameter.
Stuffed Buttermilk Pancakes With Fresh Berries and Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- zest of 1 orange, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Unsalted butter, at room temperature, for greasing the pan
- 1 cup mixed fresh berries
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
1. Sift the flour, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the center.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg and oil. Pour into the flour mixture. Gently, fold all of the ingredients together to form a moist batter. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of a standing electric mixer or with a hand held beater, cream together the cream cheese, orange, vanilla and the 1/4 cup granulated sugar. Beat for 3 minutes or until the sugar is incorporated and the cream cheese is completely smooth.
4. Grease generously the indentations of the Aebleskiver with butter and place the pan over medium heat. Spoon 1/2 tablespoon of the batter into each well. Carefully place 1/2 tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture into the mold. Top with another 1/2 tablespoon of the batter to fill the mold. Turn the heat to low. Cook until the edges are set and begin to pull away from the sides of the pan and the tops are bubbly.
Carefully turn the pancakes over using 2 chopsticks or a fork and spoon.
Pile the stuffed buttermilk pancakes on a serving platter, scatter with fresh berries, and drizzle with warm maple syrup…Dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve immediately. Yum!
Bestselling Products on Amazon
Prices are accurate as of April 28, 2017 11:21 am. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.