This past mother’s day I made this lemon mousse pie for my mom.. She loves pies and it being spring and all, I thought this pie would be perfect for the occasion. I was right, she loved it and we had a wonderful visit.
She asked me where I got the recipe. I told her the story!
In 2009 Ophrah Winfrey came to the Texas State Fair in Dallas, Texas and was asked to pick the winning recipe for the State Fair cooking contest.
This pie along with a breakfast chorizo casserole were the winning recipes. I have made both and was very impressed with the recipes!
This pie does take a little extra time with all the chilling that needs to be done, but you can do it ahead of time in stages. Putting it all together is really quite easy and the pie is Oh! so delicious!
- 3/4 cup toasted almonds, ground
- 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 bars (4 ounces each) white chocolate, chopped
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut up
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon peel
1. To make the crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 10-inch pie plate.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine almonds, crumbs, butter and lemon peel.
Press evenly on bottom and sides of pie plate. Bake for 9 to 10 minutes. Cool completely.
2. To make the lemon curd: Bring sugar, lemon peel and juice to a boil in a heavy 3 1/2 quart saucepan
over medium high heat.
Remove from heat and gradually whisk about 1/4 of the hot juice mixture into egg yolks; add egg yolk mixture to remaining hot juice mixture, whisking constantly until well-blended.
Place saucepan over medium heat and cook, whisking constantly, at least 10 to 12 minutes (mixture will be pudding-like in thickness).
Add cubes of butter, in 6 batches, whisking constantly until butter melts and mixture is well-blended after each addition.
Remove from heat and pour mixture through a wire-mesh strainer into a bowl. Place plastic wrap directly on warm curd (to prevent a film from
Chill 3 hours. Makes about 1 1/3 cups.
3. Microwave the white chocolate in a small, microwave-safe bowl on high for 1 1/2 minutes or until it is melted and smooth, stirring at 30
4. Beat softened cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer, until light and fluffy. Add melted chocolate and beat until blended,
stopping to scrape down sides.
Add lemon curd and beat until blended.
5. Beat heavy cream at high speed with an hand mixer until soft peaks form.
Gently fold into lemon mixture.
Spoon mixture into prepared crust,
mounding the mixture in center of crust. Chill 3 hours.
6. To make the lemon topping: Combine sugar, butter and lemon juice in the top of a double boiler
Set over a pan of simmering water and stir until the sugar dissolves and the butter melts.
Beat egg, yolk and lemon peel in a bowl until well-blended.
Gradually whisk the warm butter mixture into the egg mixture.
Return mixture to the double boiler and cook over simmering water until the topping is thick, stirring constantly, about 10 minutes, do not
Transfer the topping to a bowl, whisking to smooth. Press plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the topping and chill until cold.
7. Remove the pie from the refrigerator. Spread with lemon topping. Chill for at least 1 hour.
Garnish with sweetened whipped cream, lemon wedges and fresh raspberries (if you like).
I hope you all enjoy this fabulous Lemon Mousse Pie! I will be sharing the winning breakfast casserole recipe soon!
Bestselling Products on Amazon
Prices are accurate as of June 25, 2016 9:31 am. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.