Want a different take on chicken? Try this marinated chicken that uses passion fruit and the fresh herb salad with passion fruit vinaigrette.
What is passion fruit? The plant is widely grown in California as far north as San Jose, The Monterey Bay Area and the San Franciso Bay Area. The nearly round or ovoid fruit, has a tough rind that is smooth and waxy and rangling in hue from dark purple with faint, fine white specks, to light yellow or pumpkin-color. Within is a cavity more or less filled with an aromatic mass of double walled, membranous sacs containing orange-colored, pulpy juice and as many as 250 small, hard, dark brown or black, pitted seeds. The unique flavor is appealing, musky, guava-like and sweet/tart to tart.
The flavor of passion fruit blends well with citrus and many other fruit flavors and is quickly appreciated by many people as they become familiar with it.
I love cooking with passion fruit because you can make so many things with the puree – cocktails, punch, brulee, cakes, pies, marinades, etc.
They sell this frozen puree below in your higher end markets or you can order it online at perfectpuree.com
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup fresh passion fruit pulp (from 4 fruits) or passion fruit puree
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons rosemary leaves
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground pepper, plus more for seasoning
- Kosher salt
- 4 skin-on boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh passion fruit pulp or passion fruit puree
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1 Thai red chile, minced
- 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 4 cups packed mesclun (4 ounces)
1. Marinate the chicken: In a large bowl, combine the lime juice, orange juice, passion fruit, garlic, basil,
ginger, thyme, rosemary, the 1 tablespoons of pepper and 2 teaspoons of salt, blending well to dissolve the salt.
Pour the marinade into a gallon freezer bag. Add the chicken to the marinade and refrigerate overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to 400F. Remove the chicken from the marinade and pat dry with paper towels.
In a large, ovenproof skillet, heat the oil until shimmering.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add to the skillet, skin side down.
Cook over moderately high heat until browned, 3 minutes.
Turn the chicken and cook for 1 minute. Transfer the skillet to the oven and roast for 10 minutes (160F internally), until just cooked. Let rest for 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the vinaigrette: In a small saucepan, boil the orange juice over high heat until it reduces to 2 tablespoons, about 12 minutes.
Pour the reduced orange juice into a small bowl and let cool. Stir in lime juice, passion fruit pulp, shallot, chile (see below), ginger and honey.
Whisk in the olive oil until emulsified and season with salt and pepper. Mix in the chives and basil.
4. Toss the mesclun with 1 tablespoon of the vinaigrette and mound it on 4 plates. Place a chicken breast on each plate and drizzle with the remaining vinaigrette. Serve right away.
I think you will really like this passion fruit marinated chicken with the herbed salad.
A delicious wine to serve with this meal is a tropical-scented Sauvignon Blanc: 2009 Geyser Peak. Enjoy!
Bestselling Products on Amazon
Prices are accurate as of February 4, 2016 11:11 pm. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.