This Grilled Tomato and Mozzarella Salad with Cilantro Pesto is a delicious summer salad!
Grilling the tomatoes and toasting the cheese adds a richness to this dish that’s hard to beat, and making a rich pesto to drizzle on puts this dish over the top in terms of intense flavor!
For the Cilantro Pesto:
- 1 bunch fresh basil (leaves only)
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro (leaves only)
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 anchovy fillet
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1 lemon (juice only)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- extra-virgin olive oil
1. Lightly toast the pine nuts in a nonstick pan over medium heat until just lightly browned on all sides.
2. Place all ingredients into a blender (or food processor) except for the olive oil. While blending, slowly drizzle in olive oil just until a thick sauce consistency is achieved.
For the Salad:
- 2 large ripe tomatoes
- sea salt and fresh black pepper
- extra-virgin olive
- 1 ball of fresh mozzarella cheese
- Aged balsamic vinegar
- cilantro leaves, for garnish
1. Cut the tomatoes into thick slices, season with salt and pepper then brush with a light coating of olive oil. Grill quickly to get nice charred marks, then remove and arrange on a plate.
2. Cut the mozzarella into thick slices and place one slice on each tomato. Use a blow torch (or a small hand held torch) to toast the top of the cheese until lightly golden brown, then season with salt and pepper.
3. Place one spoonful of pesto on top of the cheese, then drizzle the plate with a few drips of olive oil and aged balsamic vinegar. Garnish with cilantro leave.
TIP: Use the best extra-virgin olive oil and aged balsamic vinegar that you can afford for this dish. The flavors will really make a difference.