Food brings people together! And what better time to celebrate than with our Independence Day 4th of July backyard barbecue?
These sweet and spicy grilled chicken wings are the perfect grilling food.
Nothing can compare to a smokey flavor of a grill.
And, there is something about being with friends, grilling and outside – all the pressures of the everyday grind come to a halt!
LET’S GET GRILLING!
Grilled Sweet and Spicy Chicken Wings
20-30 chicken wings
- 1/2 cup hickory or apple wood chips
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped or pressed
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 2 oz. bourbon or blended whiskey
- 4 oz. chili sauce
- 4 oz. Siracha Chile Sauce
- 8 oz. plain barbecue sauce
- 3 oz. of wing sauce
1. Combine all ingredients except chicken wings into a microwave-safe mixing bowl or measuring cup. Microwave for 1 1/2 minutes; stir well.
2. Place wings in a 2 gallon ziploc bag.
Add 1/4 to 1/2 of the sauce to thickly coat wings in bag.
Close bag (reserve remaining sauce) and refrigerate overnight.
3. Light a gas grill. Wrap the wood chips in heavy-duty foil and pierce the foil packet with a skewer. Add the packet to the grill. Cover and let the wood chips begin to smoke, 5 minutes.
4. Grill the chicken wings, covered, over moderately high heat, turning them with tongs occasionally, until they are charred in spots and cooked through, 22 to 25 minutes (165-175 internal temp.).
5. Remove from grill into mixing bowl or container with a lid.
Pour reserved wing sauce over wings and toss.
Pile these deliciously sweet and spicy grilled wings on a platter and serve along with some buckaroo beans, coleslaw, fresh corn on the cob and lots of ice cold beer.
LIFE DOESN’T GET ANY BETTER!
Happy 4th of July! Enjoy!
Enjoy How to Cook Gourmet? If you appreciate these recipes and would like to donate, please click on the Paypal button below. “Thank you” from Chef Kathy.