We’ve all read McDonald horror stories but did you know that Chicken McNuggets contain an industrial chemical? According to Natural News Special Report, they state that McDonalds’s Chicken McNuggets are made with ingredients including sodium phosphates, “partially hydrogenated soybean oil and cottonseed oil with mono -and diglycerides,” sodium acid pyrophosphate, ammonium bicarbonate, monocalcium phosphate, “hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness” and “Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent.”
Yumm..right? At least two of these ingredients are artificially synthesized industrial chemicals.
- TBHQ is a petroleum derivative used as a stabilizer in perfumes, resins, varnishes and oil field chemicals.
- Dimethylpolysiloxane is a type of silicone used in caulks and sealants, as a filler for breast implants, and as key ingredient in Silly Putty.
Other ingredients have issues too:
- Cottonseed oil is not regulated as a food crop and may contain toxic pesticides that are banned in food production. Cottonseed oil is commonly genetically modified.
- Hydrogenated oils routinely contain trans fats, the artificially produced fats that are unusable by the body.
Nobody ever claimed McDonald’s Chicken McNuggets were a healthy choice, but I was pretty surprised at just how unhealthy they really are. That got me thinking that maybe it was time to start making my own at home. Here’s are five healthier ways to make your own Chicken Nuggets:
- Cooking Light’s Healthier Chicken Nuggets and Homemade Chips cut down on calorie and fat with this healthier recipe. A classic portion of chicken nuggets and chips were a whopping 660 calories per meal; with 44grams of total fat; and 1,000 milligrams of sodium. They were able to makeover the recipe and reduce all three ingredients to 241 calories per meal; 6.1 grams total fat and 386 milligrams of sodium. Click here for recipe.
- Momables Healthy Homemade Chicken Nuggets Recipe Video – Have you been looking for a healthy homemade chicken nuggets recipe that compares to the texture of the frozen ones? If so, you’ve got to check this one out! Over 1 million people already have. Click here to watch the video.
- com takes chunks of chicken breasts coated in breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese then bakes them until golden. An easy chicken recipe your whole family will love! What can be more kid friendly than chicken nuggets, even the pickiest kids like them. Serve them with ketchup, bbq sauce or whatever you like to dip your nuggets into. Adults can serve them over your favorite salad for a satisfying lunch. Click here for the recipe.
- Super Healthy Kids has even gone so far as to make homemade chicken nuggets in cute, kid-friendly shapes. She uses bite size pieces of chicken, rolls them in a breading, and then bakes them. She makes her own ‘Un-Processed’ nuggets, and they turned out delicious!! Check out her Toddler Perfect Chicken Nuggets recipe here.
- Eating Richly’s Barbecue Baked Chicken Nuggets recipe dips the chicken in a barbecue sauce mixture before they’re dipped in breading. Built-in BBQ sauce is a big flavor bonus.
When you make them homemade, you can feel good that your kids are eating simple (baked, not fried), real ingredients. More good news – they’ll still be happy that they’re getting chicken nuggets!