I love to serve these herbed new potatoes as a side dish because they are so easy and delicious. I also like to add a little twist to them for presentation purposes.
New potatoes are small, immature potatoes (of any variety) that are harvested before their starches develop.
Although red potatoes can be “new,” not all potatoes are necessarily red-skinned. Conversely, not all red-skinned potatoes are new.
True new potatoes are waxy with a high moisture content and a thin, delicate skin.
Easy Herbed New Potatoes
- 12 small red new potatoes (try to get all of them same size for even cooking)
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh chives
- 3 slices bacon (for garnish)
- 3 green onions thinly sliced (for garnish)
1. Lay all your new potatoes out on a counter.
2. With a magic marker, make an even line around each new potato.
3. Using a zester,
zest around each marker line to make a peeled circle. Then use a small knife to clean up the circle and make it even all the way around the potato.
Immediately place potatoes in a medium saucepan of cold water.
4. Add enough additional water to the saucepan to cover the potatoes by 2 inches. Bring to a boil over medium high heat.
Lower the heat to medium low and boil until the potatoes are easily pierced by a fork, about 25 minutes; Do not overcook!
5. While the potatoes are cooking, cut the bacon into small pieces with your kitchen shears and fry in a pan until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon onto a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
6. Thinly slice 3 green onions (green and white parts) and set aside.
7. Mince the fresh parsley and chives.
8. Place the butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high until melted, about 5 to 10 seconds. Stir in minced parsley and chives.
Drain the potatoes, place in a bowl and pour the butter mixture over the potatoes and toss to coat.
9. Place the potatoes on a platter, drizzle with the remaining butter/herb mixture and sprinkle with the crispy bacon bits and sliced green onions.
That’s it! Wasn’t that easy?
These herbed new potatoes are a perfect side dish and the added twist, makes your presentation even more interesting! Enjoy!